Sunday, August 12, 2007

Hi everyone,

We have made it through our first week back in India. The hardest part has been the readjustment from the jet lag. It truly takes me a week to get over it. Now that I say that, I'm sure I won't sleep through the night tonight!

We drove to church today. There were over 30 people there. That's a bunch for the small room that we meet in. We found out that there is a new couple in Pune, and also a single girl. However, the nice lady from Utah went home with her teenage son and didn't come back with her husband. Oh well, I guess that is life in a foreign country. Doug's been pretty cocky all week that we came back! We had a pot luck today and it was really pot luck! There was plenty of Indian food (which Doug loved -- he doesn't get enough every day of the week at lunch!). There was also plenty of American food with all the expats there. The HOT award went to the American gal that made the salsa -- it was the hottest of all!

They did some work on our house while we were gone -- they fixed the front gate with all its missing wood slats. Of course, it needs to be varnished, but I have a suspicion that won't happen. They also caulked the skylights. We think one is ok, but they came back again to caulk the largest one. We'll give it a try this week to see if it still leaks. The house owner's representative came over before we came back and looked at all the leaking walls. He brought the "wall doctor" with him on Friday. They are to begin getting the house waterproofed Monday at 10:30. I'll believe that when I see it. The kitchen is really bad and it's very damp and musty in here. We run the air conditioning just to keep the dampness out of the air.

Hannah's school starts a week from tomorrow. We haven't heard a thing! Nothing from the school on class schedules, registration, uniforms, bus schedules, etc. I hope they start school on Aug. 20. Otherwise, I will be a sad mom. Hannah is bored and needs something to do!

I got some more flannel this week and I have 3 blankets made. My goal is 50 and I think I may take them to the maternity hospital. Apparently a lot of mothers leave their babies there and just walk away. The hospital keeps them until someone comes in and wants to adopt them. Interesting system.

We went to the movies this weekend -- we were invited by our John Deere friends. We saw the Simpson Movie. Yikes! I can't believe that I even admitted that! Quite the Boy Scout humor in that movie! Then we went to lunch at a "Continental" restraunt and then we went to the Agrakahn Palace where Ghandi was held prisoner from 1942-1944. This Wednesday (August 15) is India Independence Day (60 years). This was independence from Britain. Someone told me that India was only 10 years behind the US. I think India is 170 years behind the US.

Well, that's all that's been going on here. We are all fine and we have not been sick since arriving back here. That's a good thing.
Have a nice week. We miss you all!
Love, Mom

P.S. Look for new pictures on the blog.

2 comments:

Craig said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Craig said...

It looks like they planted some more flowers. Also, is it a lot greener there now that it rains all the time?

Blog Archive